Commercial general liability insurance, also called GLI or business liability insurance, is a policy that protects you and your business from any common risks that result in property damage or bodily injury. General liability business insurance keeps you from paying out of pocket for things like doctors’ or attorneys’ fees, so you can focus on keeping your employees paid and business running smoothly.
What Does a General Liability Insurance Policy Cover?
General liability insurance for small business owners helps protect against a variety of potentially costly risks, including:
- Injury or property damage caused by your business.
- Medical costs for customers who hurt themselves while on your property.
- Legal fees to help defend lawsuits brought against your business.
- Rental property damage in the event of a covered loss, like a fire.
How Much Is General Liability Insurance?
Like many other insurance policies, commercial general liability insurance pricing depends on a number of factors. These can be more complex things like how risky your industry is, or simple matters like how many employees you have. Here’s an idea of what your insurance agent may factor into your policy:
- How long you’ve been in business
- The location of your business
- The condition of the building
- Your policy coverages and deductibles
Do You Need General Liability Insurance?
Part of owning a small business is being prepared for unexpected risks. And paying out of pocket for expensive legal fees or extensive repairs could put your business in jeopardy. But with the right general liability business insurance, you can get peace of mind knowing your most important assets are covered.